Facilities for carrying out the chemical analysis of viscera, NDPS(Narcotic drugs and Psychotropic substances), remnants of accelerants in arson cases, etc. with help of sophisticate instruments like LCMS, HPLC, HPTLC, GC, UV & IR Spectro-photometers exist in this division. Examination of trap cases & other miscellaneous cases are also carried out in this division.The details of expertise of the Chemical Sciences Department is given below:
- Examination of opium / crude opium, morphine / opium alkaloids.
- Examination of Heroin samples.
- Examination of Cannabis samples.
- Examination of Cocaine samples.
- Examination of Methaqualone samples,
- Examination of Amphetamine samples.
- Examination of Barbiturate derivatives
- Examination of Benzodiazepine derivatives.
- Examination of Peyote cactus ( Mescal buttons)/Mescaline
- Examination of Psilocybe Mushrooms/Psilocybin.
- Examination of Lysregide (LSD).
- Determination of alcoholic contents (ethylalcohal) in liquor samples.
- Detection of inflammable material and their residues in arson case.
- Detection of dyes used in trap cases.
- Identification of various fuels such as petrol, diesel, kerosene oil.
- Examination of corrosive chemicals in acid throwing cases.
- Reconstruction and evaluation of arson sites.
Toxicology & Narcotic unit
- Identification of volatile inorganic poisons such as Hydrogen Cyanide, Phosphine, Arsine, Yellow phosphorus, Carbonyl chloride, Sulphonyl chloride.
- Identification of volatile organic poisons such as Chloroform, Benzene, Formalin, Methanol, Ethanol, Acetaldehyde, Acetone, Phenol,Naphthalene, Nicotine, Toluene,Terpentine oil, Paraffin, Halogenated aliphatic compounds, Chloral hydrate, Mineral oils, Pyridine, Aniline, Ethylene dibromide, Carbon tetrachloride and Petrol.
- Identification of non-volatile inorganic anions such as Nitrate, Perchlorate, Chlorate, Fluoride, Selenide, Chloride, Dichromate, Bromide, Phosphate, Manganate, Sulphate, Styphnate, Azide, Chlorite, Nitrite and Arsenate.
- Identification of non-volatile inorganic cations such as As, Cd, Hg, Th, Ba, Pb, Mn, Bi Cu, Al, Zn, Fe+2 and Fe+3.
- Identification of non-volatile organic neutral compounds such as Chlorinated pesticides, Organophosphorus insecticides, Carbamates, Synthetic pyrethroids, Fungicides, Herbicides, Plant hormones.
- Identification of organic acidic drugs such as Barbiturates, Glutethimide, Hydantoin, Caffeine, Phenacetin, Salicylates.
- Identification of basic drugs such as Benzodiazepines, Alkaloids (Synthetic or of plant origin), Tranquilizers and Phenothiazenes.
- Identification of miscellaneous poisons such as Mineral acids, Alkalies, Organic acids, Organic insolubles like Antibiotics, Sulphonamides, Toxins of poisonous plants, animals and insects.